The election laws of WA State, RCW 29A.24.075, are explicit in that …
(2) Excluding the office of precinct committee officer or a temporary elected position such as a charter review board member or freeholder, no person may file for more than one office.
Nathan Schlicher, a lawyer, is a candidate for Representative, District 26, Position 1, already holds a public office and in fact holds a “quasi-judicial” office and is therefore “DISQUALIFIED” by law, to seek a second office.
A letter was sent to Schlicher asking him to withdraw due to this conflict he has with the law by seeking a “second office” with the state.
The contents of this letter follow:
Friday, May 16, 2014
Dr. Nathan Schlicher, Esq., WSBA #32795
PO Box 2082
Gig Harbor WA 98335
Dear Dr. Schlicher,
The Secretary of State notes that you are a candidate for Representative, 26 District, Position 1.
It is my belief and my hope that you will withdraw your candidacy for the following reasons.
- You are a member of a state agency, the WA State Bar, which is under the Judicial Br. See RCW 2.48.010 and RCW 2.48.060
- You are a “public officer and officer of the court” by your membership with the WA State Bar. See Rules of Profession Conduct – Preamble. See DIKE v. DIKE 75 Wn.2d 1, 5 “The lawyer’s duty is of a double character. He owes to his client the duty of fidelity, but he also owes the duty of good faith and honorable dealing to the judicial tribunals before whom he practices his profession. He is an officer of the court – a minister in the temple of justice.”
- The WA State Bar, through its lobbying arm, lobbies the legislature
- You pay a fee to the WA State Bar which fee is used to fund their lobbying activities.
Because you serve in, and regulated by, one branch of government, you should not be a candidate for an elective position within another branch of government.
I request you withdraw your candidacy as a fair and impartial government is
Candidate for Representative, 26th District, Position 1
Cc: Mr. Jesse Young
Keep Posted as these events unfold.
UPDATE: Dr. Schlicher responds to Scheidler via email
From: Nathan Schlicher
Subject: Re: Your candidacy is improper
Date: Sat, 17 May 2014 13:32:51 -0700
To: BILL SCHEIDLER
Dear. Mr. Scheidler –
Thank you for your email and correspondence, I look forward to a spirited and thoughtful campaign this year for the House Seat here in the 26th District with you and Mr. Young.
I appreciate your thoughts as to my candidacy, but respectfully disagree. As you identified in your salutation, I am an ER doctor and have been doing so as my job, not practicing as an attorney.
Thank you for sharing your concerns with me and I look forward to meeting you in person in the coming weeks and months.
The TRUE information from the WSBA’s web site
Nathaniel Ryan Schlicher
WSBA Number: 32795
Admit Date: 11/04/2002
Member Status: Active
Johnson Graffe Keay Moniz & Wick LLP
925 4th Ave Ste 2300
Seattle, WA 98104-1145
Phone: (206) 223-4770
Fax: (206) 386-7344
Practice Information Back to top
Firm or Employer: Johnson Graffe Keay Moniz & Wick LLP
Firm Size: 11-20 Lawyers in Firm
Practice Areas: Civil Litigation, Criminal, Health, Insurance, Malpractice
Other Languages Spoken: None Specified
Liability Insurance Back to top
Private Practice: Yes
Has Insurance? Yes – Click for more info
Last Updated: 11/19/2013
Committees Back to top
Member of these committees/boards/panels: